poisoningIf you child has been bitten by a poisonous bug or animal, call first for instructions from the poison control center. Swallowed a household chemical (such as antifreeze). Call first; you may be told to have your child drink just a few sips of milk or water, to dilute the poison and minimize injury to the mouth or throat. Too much might bring on vomiting, which could be harmful.

Swallowed medicine. Do nothing until you’ve reached an expert at the poison control center.

Inhaled a poison (such as paint thinner or kerosene). Call–and then go outside or open a window so your child can breathe fresh air.

DON’T WAIT FOR SYMPTOMS If you think your child might have swallowed or come into contact …